Ausmus, Dodgers finalize deal
The parties agreed to terms last week, and the three-time Gold Glove winner needed to take a physical. He can earn an additional $350,000 in performance bonuses based on plate appearances.
Ausmus spent the past eight seasons with Houston and batted .218 with three homers and 24 RBIs in 81 games last year. He will back up All-Star catcher Russell Martin in Los Angeles.
Ausmus, who turns 40 in April, has a career batting average of .251 with 79 homers and 596 RBIs in 1,914 career games with San Diego, Detroit and Houston.
Ausmus makes his offseason home in Del Mar, about 100 miles south of Los Angeles.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Jeter: Will miss Cano, not surprised he left
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Los Angeles Dodgers Classic Frozen Rope Baseball Necklace