Arias suspended 50 games
NEW YORK -- Florida Marlins infielder Pascual Arias was suspended for 50 games Tuesday by the baseball commissioner's office after testing positive for a performance-enchancing substance under the sport's minor league drug program.
Arias, who played in the Dominican summer league last year, tested positive for metabolites of stanozolol. The suspension will start at the beginning of the season.
He is the fifth minor leaguer suspended this year under the program, the fourth for performance-enchancing drugs. One was banned after a positive test for a drug of abuse.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Yankees' Ellsbury battling 'tightness' in calf
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- WinCraft Miami Marlins Clear Die-Cut Decal