Aurilia signs deal with Giants
Aurilia has played 11 of his 14 major league seasons with San Francisco, returning to the Giants in 2007 after brief stints with three other clubs. The Giants' former starting shortstop played mostly first base (49 starts) and third base (50 starts) last season, hitting .283 with 10 homers and 52 RBIs in 140 games.
The 37-year-old Aurilia has exactly 1,200 hits with the Giants, sixth-most in team history. He has a career .277 average with 184 homers and 740 RBIs.
The Giants expect Aurilia to be a veteran influence on their young infield and a right-handed pinch-hitter who could fill in anywhere on defense.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
- Court rules MLB can depose A-Rod's cousin
- Report: 3B McGehee, Marlins agree to deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's San Francisco Giants Orange Bergen Adjustable Hat