Navarro asks for $2.5M from Rays
Navarro was eligible for arbitration for the first time after hitting a team-high .295 last year with seven homers and 54 RBIs. He made $432,500.
Tampa Bay reached the World Series for the first time, losing in five games to Philadelphia. Navarro batted .353 (6-for-17) with no RBIs against the Phillies.
Arbitrators Elizabeth Neumeier, James Oldham and Steven Wolf heard the case and were likely to make a decision Tuesday.
Navarro became the second player to go to a hearing this year. Nationals pitcher Shawn Hill was awarded $775,000 on Saturday rather than the team's proposal of $500,000.
Fifteen players remain scheduled for hearings, which run through Jan. 20.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Jeter: Will miss Cano, not surprised he left
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Tampa Bay Rays Wil Myers #9 Home White Jersey