Encarnacion avoids arbitration
Spring Training Blog
Check our daily spring training blog with updates on everything our team of writers and analysts are seeing and hearing at the ballpark, plus news tidbits from around the baseball world. Blog
Encarnacion was the last Reds player in arbitration. The agreement was announced Tuesday, hours before a scheduled hearing in Phoenix.
Encarnacion had asked for $3.7 million this season; the team offered $2.55 million.
The deal calls for $2 million in 2009 and $4.75 million in 2010, along with an $850,000 signing bonus and performance bonuses of $25,000 for 600 plate appearances.
Encarnacion batted .251 last season with 26 home runs and 68 RBIs.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Cincinnati Reds Carbon Wordmark Red T-Shirt