Willingham agrees to one-year deal
Spring Training Blog
Check our daily spring training blog with updates on everything our team of writers and analysts are seeing and hearing at the ballpark, plus news tidbits from around the baseball world. Blog
Willingham, who made $405,000 last season, had submitted an arbitration figure of $3.6 million. The Nationals had countered with $2.55 million.
His new one-year deal calls for performance bonuses of $25,000 each for 525, 550, 575 and 600 plate appearances.
The Nationals still have one more player scheduled for arbitration, third baseman Ryan Zimmerman.
Olsen avoided arbitration earlier this month when he agreed to a $2.8 million, one-year contract.
In Washington's other case, right-hander Shawn Hill won his hearing and was awarded a salary of $775,000 this season. The Nationals submitted a figure of $500,000.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Washington Nationals Authentic Collection Quarter-Zip Red Fleece Hoodie