LAKELAND, Fla. -- Placido Polanco will not play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic.
The Detroit Tigers second baseman confirmed his decision Wednesday, saying he told team officials in December he wouldn't participate.
He was on the Dominican provisional roster for the WBC, which runs from March 5-23.
The 33-year-old Polanco said he chose to focus on his job with the Tigers and is confident the Dominican team will have enough middle infielders with players such as New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano on the roster.
He is entering the last year of his contract with the Tigers after hitting .307 for them last season, being an All-Star in 2007 and the MVP of the ALCS in 2006.