Newcombe named special adviser
LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers owner Frank McCourt has made Don Newcombe a special adviser to the chairman of the team.
Newcombe is the only player in baseball history to win rookie of the year, MVP and Cy Young Award honors. He joined the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1949, playing with Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella.
Newcombe joins Hall of Fame manager Tom Lasorda and Dr. Frank Jobe as the club's three special advisers to McCourt.
Newcombe had a 149-90 record with 1,129 strikeouts and a 3.56 ERA during his 10-year career. He played in five World Series with the Dodgers.
He joined the Dodgers' front office in 1970 and has worked in community service for the club.
Los Angeles announced the move on Monday.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- Reports: 3B Chavez to re-sign with Arizona
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Los Angeles Dodgers "OCTOBER REIGN" Royal T-Shirt