Tigers pay tribute to Fidrych
The 54-year-old Fidrych, who captured the imagination of the country during his rookie of the year season in 1976, died Monday in an accident at his Massachusetts home.
Authorities are awaiting autopsy results to determine how he died.
The Fidrych tribute took place after the previously scheduled events honoring Jackie Robinson.
Because every player wore No. 42 in honor of Robinson, Fidrych's No. 20, normally worn by backup catcher Matt Treanor, went unused.
A funeral for Fidrych was scheduled for Friday at First Parish Unitarian Church in Northborough, Mass.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Detroit Tigers Heathered Navy Speedwick Performance Long Sleeve Shirt