Rangers OF Hamilton put on 15-day DL
ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Texas Rangers placed outfielder Josh Hamilton on the 15-day disabled list prior to Friday night's game against the Chicago White Sox because of a strained left rib cage muscle.
The Rangers made the move retroactive to Monday in part to create a roster spot for catcher Max Ramirez, recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma on Friday to serve as the backup while regular catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia recovers from eye irritation.
Marlon Byrd will remain Texas' primary center fielder in Hamilton's absence.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Dodgers OF Crawford to skip Australia series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Los Angeles Angels Josh Hamilton #32 Navy T-Shirt