Berry released from hospital
HOUSTON -- Houston Astros hitting coach Sean Berry has been released from a Houston hospital following surgery to remove a cancerous kidney.
The Astros announced Berry was released Monday. The 43-year-old coach had successful surgery Friday to remove his right kidney and the entire growth.
Houston manager Cecil Cooper has said Berry will probably return to the team in a couple of weeks.
Berry first began experiencing discomfort in his kidney area earlier this month while the Astros were in Atlanta. He spent 11 seasons in the major leagues, including three with the Astros. He's in his fourth year as Houston's hitting coach.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Little Earth Houston Astros Cross-Body Black Sheen Purse