Ortiz on bench vs. lefty Liriano
MINNEAPOLIS -- David Ortiz's possible drop in the Red Sox lineup has been delayed.
Boston's struggling designated hitter was on the bench Monday at Minnesota, with Twins left-hander Francisco Liriano on the mound. Manager Terry Francona said before the game he wanted as many right-handed hitters in the batting order as possible.
Francona said Ortiz is healthy and described his slump as "normal hitters' woes."
Ortiz is hitting .195 with just one home run. The Red Sox are considering moving him down in the lineup, but Francona declined to divulge details of his most recent conversation with the 33-year-old.
Third baseman Mike Lowell is scheduled for a rest Tuesday, so Francona said he might make multiple changes to the order for that game.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Jeter: Will miss Cano, not surprised he left
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Boston Red Sox Dustin Pedroia #15 Home White Replica Jersey