Matsui on DL, Astros bring up Kata
PITTSBURGH -- The Houston Astros placed second baseman Kaz Matsui on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained right hamstring and purchased infielder Matt Kata's contract from Triple-A Round Rock on Friday night.
The Astros made the move following a 6-1 victory over the Pirates in which Matsui's replacement, rookie Edwin Maysonet, homered while going 4 for 4 and driving in four runs.
Kata, who was with the Astros during spring training, is scheduled to join them in time for Saturday night's game. He has a .242 average with 12 homers and 58 RBIs in 238 career games with the Diamondbacks, Phillies, Rangers and Pirates.
Matsui developed the hamstring problem earlier this week, but was expected to be ready to play after taking a few days off. He's hitting .219 with one homer and 12 RBIs.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Houston Astros Full-Zip Navy Ice Jacket