Cunningham diagnosed with concussion
The team said he was taken to nearby Summit Medical Center for a CT scan.
Twins starter Anthony Swarzak hit Cunningham square in the helmet and knocked it off his head in the fourth inning Monday night, and the ball sailed high in the air. Cunningham dropped to one knee and athletic trainer Steve Sayles and manager Bob Geren rushed out.
Cunningham stayed in the game and slowly went to first after several minutes. Jack Hannahan cleared the bases with his double two pitches later.
But Gregorio Petit replaced Cunningham in the top of the fifth.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Verlander tabbed to start 7th opener in row
- Mets' Niese cleared to throw, sources say
- Feldman to start Astros' opener vs. Yankees
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Oakland Athletics Yoenis Cespedes #52 Cool Base Alternate Green On-Field Jersey