Casilla headed back to Triple-A
Punto will be activated Friday before the start of Minnesota's three-game road series against the Chicago Cubs. He has been out since May 20 with a right groin strain.
Casilla is batting .180 with no homers and five RBIs in 34 games with the Twins this season, and manager Ron Gardenhire doesn't sound impressed with the 24-year-old's plate discipline.
"I know he's frustrated, and doesn't understand why it's him," Gardenhire said. "His situational hitting is just not there. He's got all the skills, but he's still swinging crazily."
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards deal for Masterson to bolster pitching
- Scratched Lester at Fenway amid rumors
- Presidential farewell: Jeter honored by Bush
- Kluber tosses 3-hitter to outduel King Felix
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs Minnesota Twins 'This is Twins Territory' Street Sign