Casilla headed back to Triple-A
Punto will be activated Friday before the start of Minnesota's three-game road series against the Chicago Cubs. He has been out since May 20 with a right groin strain.
Casilla is batting .180 with no homers and five RBIs in 34 games with the Twins this season, and manager Ron Gardenhire doesn't sound impressed with the 24-year-old's plate discipline.
"I know he's frustrated, and doesn't understand why it's him," Gardenhire said. "His situational hitting is just not there. He's got all the skills, but he's still swinging crazily."
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves agree to deal with Cuban OF Toscano
- Cubs fans flock to statue, remember Banks
- Reports: Nats sign ex-Jays closer Janssen
- White Sox sign 2B Beckham, designate Viciedo
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Minnesota Twins Ripley Navy/white Flex Hat