Mariners claim Wilson off waivers
Seattle also designated catcher Guillermo Quiroz for assignment on Friday.
Johnson was one of three players to leave the team this week because of illness or death of a family member. Johnson missed five games after his mother-in-law died.
Team home run leader Russell Branyan was in the lineup for Friday night's game against Arizona after attending his grandfather's funeral in Georgia on Thursday.
Mariners' RBI leader Jose Lopez remained away in Venezuela. His sister there is seriously ill.
The 28-year-old Wilson was with Arizona for 11 games earlier this season. San Diego claimed him off waivers last month and he played 16 games for the Padres.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Price, Rays prevail with rally over Red Sox
- Davis homers in 10th as Orioles edge Mariners
- Lester: I'd re-sign with Sox even if traded
- Dodgers crush Giants with club-record 5 triples
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Seattle Mariners 59Fifty Game Navy Authentic Hat