Sony pulls plug on 'Moneyball' movie
LOS ANGELES -- Brad Pitt and Steven Soderbergh's baseball tale "Moneyball" has been benched just days before the start of shooting.
Sony pulled the plug late last week after Soderbergh turned in a rewritten script substantially different than an earlier draft by screenwriter Steven Zaillian. That's according to a source close to the production who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the record.
The source says Sony gave Soderbergh the opportunity to set the project up at a different studio.
Soderbergh's manager declined to comment.
Production had been scheduled to start this week. The script is based on Michael Lewis' book "Moneyball," about Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Kershaw: No problems after simulated game
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
- Yanks' Nova to DL with elbow ligament tear
- Red Sox notch walk-off victory on O's error
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Oakland Athletics Green Point Polo