Chavez hopes to be ready by spring
The six-time Gold Glover, on the 60-day disabled list with a herniated disk and strained right forearm, had the operation performed by Dr. Robert Watkins in Los Angeles. It was the second back surgery for Chavez -- the same microdiscectomy surgery in a different spot -- and his fifth operation overall since Sept. 5, 2007. He also had three shoulder operations.
The A's and Chavez hope he will be ready to return by spring training next year.
Chavez appeared in only eight games this season. He had one hit in his last 22 at-bats and was in an 0-for-15 stretch. He hit .100 with one RBI.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Report: Garrett Jones to sign with Marlins
- MLB denied A's move to San Jose in June
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Soft As A Grape Women's Oakland Athletics Sequin Logo Black T-Shirt