Longoria out because of hamstring
The 2008 AL rookie of the year felt "slight soreness" in his left hamstring while running out a sixth-inning double Wednesday night. He was removed from the game after playing in the field the next inning.
"I was a little bit surprised," Longoria said of the decision to sit him Thursday. "I guess they made up their mind already last night that I wasn't going to play."
Manager Joe Maddon said the move was precautionary and that he expects Longoria to be back in the lineup Friday for the start of a weekend series against the Florida Marlins. He said the third baseman would be available to pinch hit against the Phillies.
"I just thought it would be wise to do it this way," Maddon said.
Longoria is batting .309 with 16 homers and 61 RBIs. He was replaced at third base by Willy Aybar.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Authentic Tampa Bay Rays Evan Longoria #3 Cool Base Home White On-Field Jersey