Byrnes breaks hand, out 4-8 weeks
PHOENIX -- Arizona outfielder Eric Byrnes will require surgery after breaking his left hand and could miss four to eight weeks.
Byrnes fractured the fifth metacarpal in his left hand when he was hit by a pitch from Texas' Scott Feldman in the second inning Thursday night. Byrnes remained in the game as a baserunner, but was replaced by Ryan Roberts in the next inning.
The 33-year-old Byrnes is hitting .216 with five homers and 24 RBIs in the second year of a three-year, $30-million contract. He missed most of last season with hamstring injuries.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Tanaka apologizes to Yanks, fans for injury
- King Felix, Mariners thwart Samardzija, A's
- CarGo collects hit in return to Rockies lineup
- Nats' Zimmermann (biceps) likely out of ASG
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Arizona Diamondbacks 59Fifty Alternate Black Authentic Hat