Rasmus has hiatal hernia
Rasmus, who was in a 2 for 24 slump, said the condition has been bothering him for a while and an exam earlier this week confirmed the diagnosis. Rasmus said he's been told heavy late-night eating is perhaps to blame for the pain in his stomach, but felt good enough Tuesday that he was available for backup duty.
Manager Tony La Russa said Rasmus, who led NL rookies with seven homers and 28 RBIs, likely would return to the lineup Wednesday. His last appearance was as a pinch hitter on Sunday.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Jeter: Will miss Cano, not surprised he left
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth St. Louis Cardinals Authentic Collection 2013 World Series T-Shirt