Rasmus has hiatal hernia
Rasmus, who was in a 2 for 24 slump, said the condition has been bothering him for a while and an exam earlier this week confirmed the diagnosis. Rasmus said he's been told heavy late-night eating is perhaps to blame for the pain in his stomach, but felt good enough Tuesday that he was available for backup duty.
Manager Tony La Russa said Rasmus, who led NL rookies with seven homers and 28 RBIs, likely would return to the lineup Wednesday. His last appearance was as a pinch hitter on Sunday.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rays P Moore needs season-ending surgery
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Robinson debut
- Napoli exits with hurt finger after head-first slide
- Phillies' Burnett (hernia) to pitch through pain
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth St. Louis Cardinals Authentic Collection Change Up Red Fleece Hoodie