Sheffield leaves game vs. Braves
Sheffield left Friday night's game against the Atlanta Braves after sustaining an apparent leg injury.
Sheffield pulled up and grabbed the back of his right thigh after catching up to a double by Yunel Escobar in the fifth inning. Sheffield dropped the ball and leaned over while center fielder Angel Pagan threw the ball back to the infield.
Sheffield declined a ride off the field but walked slowly as he favored the right leg.
The Mets already are without outfielders Carlos Beltran and Fernando Martinez, first baseman Carlos Delgado, shortstop Jose Reyes, starting pitcher John Maine and relievers J.J. Putz and Billy Wagner due to injuries.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MLB briefs managers, GMs on replay system
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- Source: Yanks nix Gardner-for-Phillips deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's New York Mets League Diva Royal/Orange Fashion Top