Sheffield leaves game vs. Braves
Sheffield left Friday night's game against the Atlanta Braves after sustaining an apparent leg injury.
Sheffield pulled up and grabbed the back of his right thigh after catching up to a double by Yunel Escobar in the fifth inning. Sheffield dropped the ball and leaned over while center fielder Angel Pagan threw the ball back to the infield.
Sheffield declined a ride off the field but walked slowly as he favored the right leg.
The Mets already are without outfielders Carlos Beltran and Fernando Martinez, first baseman Carlos Delgado, shortstop Jose Reyes, starting pitcher John Maine and relievers J.J. Putz and Billy Wagner due to injuries.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Photo File New York Mets Citi Field Framed Photo