Lowrie returns to Red Sox lineup
Lowrie was to start at shortstop Saturday and bat eighth in Boston's game against the Toronto Blue Jays. He is taking the roster spot of right-hander Clay Buchholz, who was sent back to Pawtucket after he beat Toronto in a spot start on Friday night.
The 25-year-old Lowrie played much of last season with a sore left wrist. He tried to rehabilitate it during the offseason, but went on the disabled list April 13, then had surgery April 21.
Lowrie was activated off the disabled list on July 8. He went 11 for 50 in 15 minor league rehab games at three different levels.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Boston Red Sox Mini Slugger Softee Bat and Ball Set