Harrison to have surgery for shoulder
Harrison, on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation, was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome, which affects the nerves that pass through the shoulder into the neck. The surgery would remove a rib on the left side of his upper chest.
Harrison was 8-3 with a 3.87 ERA in 19 games, including 16 starts, before going on the disabled list June 28 for the second time this season. He experienced tingling fingers during a rehab start with Triple-A Frisco on Wednesday.
Harrison will likely miss the rest of the season if he has the surgery.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Logo Texas Rangers Sweatshirt Blanket