Harrison to have surgery for shoulder
Harrison, on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation, was diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome, which affects the nerves that pass through the shoulder into the neck. The surgery would remove a rib on the left side of his upper chest.
Harrison was 8-3 with a 3.87 ERA in 19 games, including 16 starts, before going on the disabled list June 28 for the second time this season. He experienced tingling fingers during a rehab start with Triple-A Frisco on Wednesday.
Harrison will likely miss the rest of the season if he has the surgery.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Rangers to sign Choo for $130M
- O's not signing Balfour, cite physical results
- Alleged kidnapping of Rangers' Martin detailed
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- 5th & Ocean Women's Texas Rangers Red Tri-Blend Racerback Tank Top