Millwood leaves with tight gluteus
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Texas Rangers right-hander Kevin Millwood, who has been bothered by flu-like symptoms, was pulled after only two innings Sunday against the Kansas City Royals with tightness in his left gluteus.
Millwood, who had thrown 100 or more pitches in 17 of his first 20 starts, left after 43 pitches, allowing no runs and one hit with two strikeouts. He's listed as day to day.
Dustin Nippert replaced Millwood. Nippert made a start Wednesday, giving up one run in 5 2/3 innings in a victory over Boston. He was filling in for Vicente Padilla, who was diagnosed as having the Swine Flu.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Pujols goes yard twice to join 500 HR club
- Ellsbury helps Yankees romp in Fenway return
- Fernandez strikes out 14, wins pitchers' duel
- MLB suspends Gomez, Maldonado, others
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's Replica Texas Rangers Yu Darvish #11 Alternate Red Jersey