Surgery possible for Zumaya
Zumaya, who had a stress fracture in the same shoulder last year, went on the disabled list July 18 after an appearance against the New York Yankees.
According to Rand, Zumaya experienced renewed soreness in his right shoulder after taking two cortisone shots and resuming light throwing over the weekend.
Rand said season-ending surgery or additional rest are both possibilities for Zumaya, who is 3-3 with a 4.94 ERA and 1 save in 29 appearances.
"It's going to be more of a diagnostic [visit] than a physical examination," Rand said, according to MLB.com.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Detroit Tigers Grey Wide Whale Knit Hat