Crew chief unable to make game
NEW YORK -- Only three umpires are working the game between the Philadelphia Phillies and New York Mets because weather-related travel problems prevented crew chief Rick Reed from arriving at Citi Field.
The first pitch was delayed by rain for 76 minutes. Once play began, the Mets announced that Reed, who had been scheduled to umpire third base, was unable to get to the ballpark. Team spokesman Jay Horwitz said Reed was not expected at Citi Field at any point Friday night and the game would be played with three umps.
Mark Wegner shifted from second base to third -- when no runners were on base. Tim Timmons remained at first and Rob Drake behind the plate.
Major league games often finish with just three umpires, if one gets injured or sick.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Cano thanks NY, finalizes big Mariners deal
- Source: Yanks nix Gardner-for-Phillips deal
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs New York Mets Avenue Blue Sign