Rangers assign Freel to Triple-A
Freel was assigned to Triple-A Oklahoma City on Friday. He was designated for assignment by Kansas City on Aug. 5 and given his unconditional release on Aug. 17.
This is the fourth organization for Freel this season. He has played a combined 41 games for Baltimore, Kansas City and the Chicago Cubs. He hit .193 with five RBIs.
His best stretch came with Cincinnati from 2004-06 when he stole 110 bases over the three seasons. He played a career-high 143 games and hit .277 with 28 RBIs in '04.
If he reaches the majors, the 33-year-old Freel would bring some versatility. He can play all three outfield positions as well as second and third base.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Red Sox's Peavy debuts after fishing injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Texas Rangers Carbon Wordmark Red T-Shirt