Jays' Ruiz able to walk off field after hit
Ruiz batted with the bases loaded in the fifth inning after Towers relieved Mark Melancon. Towers threw an 0-2 pitch that appeared to hit Ruiz in the cheek.
Ruiz fell forward on his knees, holding his head. Trainer George Poulis and manager Cito Gaston rushed to Ruiz's side, and team physician Dr. Ron Taylor also tended to him.
After a few minutes, Ruiz stood up, walked off and left the game.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Authentic Street Signs Toronto Blue Jays 'Man Cave' Street Sign