Tight back keeps Damon out vs. O's
The left fielder said he woke up Friday with tightness in his lower back after his hamstring felt sore during Thursday's day off. Melky Cabrera was slated to play left against the Baltimore Orioles, weather permitting, with Brett Gardner in center. The start of the game was delayed because of rain.
Damon received treatment all afternoon. He and manager Joe Girardi both said they're not worried about the injury sidelining Damon for long.
"I don't know how it happened," Damon said. "I'm just hoping this is a one-day thing and hopefully by tomorrow I'll be fine."
The 35-year-old Damon is having a strong season for the AL East leaders, batting .286 with 24 homers and 76 RBIs.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's New York Yankees Navy Shine V-Neck T-Shirt