Gallardo's season could be over
CHICAGO -- Yovani Gallardo's season could be over.
The Milwaukee Brewers' 23-year-old right-hander ranks sixth in the NL with 3,125 pitches after missing most of 2008 while recovering from surgery to repair a torn meniscus and then a torn knee ligament.
He is 12-12 this season with a 3.84 ERA in 29 starts and 180 2/3 innings. With the Brewers out of contention for the playoffs, Milwaukee might decide he's pitched enough.
Right-hander Josh Butler, whose contract was purchased from Double-A Nashville on Tuesday, threw a side session Thursday, as did Gallardo. The Brewers are unsure who will start Sunday against the Houston Astros.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- MRI shows damage to Corbin's UCL in elbow
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Multiple batters hit as Pirates-Phils gets testy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Milwaukee Brewers Fly Ball Light Blue V-Neck T-Shirt