Burnett to start Tuesday for Yanks
NEW YORK -- Jorge Posada missed the New York Yankees' 3-0 win over the Boston Red Sox because of muscle spasms near his neck, an injury manager Joe Girardi said stemmed from knocks the catcher sustained during a brawl with Toronto on Sept. 15.
Jose Molina took his place behind the plate Saturday.
Girardi said Posada's trapezius muscle had tightened up, preventing the switch hitter from swinging freely from the left side.
"I told him make sure you keep your neck warm," Girardi said. "We have to manage it and be smart about it, and we'll see how he is tomorrow."
New York also said A.J. Burnett will be pushed back one day in the starting rotation to Tuesday. That allows him to be with his father, who is scheduled for triple-bypass surgery Monday.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Thomas 'disappointed' Abreu passed on Derby
- Braves suspend struggling Uggla for 1 game
- Wright to get shot to aid shoulder at break
- Reds' Simon among 4 pitchers added to ASG
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's New York Yankees 9Forty Pinch Hitter Navy Adjustable Hat