Nolasco retires 14 of first 15 batters
The streak ended with a leadoff double by Adam LaRoche in the sixth inning. Nolasco fanned 12 through five innings, retiring 14 of his first 15 batters. He had 15 strikeouts through seven innings, setting a team record.
Seaver struck out 19 in that game at Shea Stadium, including his final 10 batters in a 2-1 victory.
The record for strikeouts in a nine-inning game is 20, set by Roger Clemens (twice) and Kerry Wood. Randy Johnson also struck out 20 in the first nine innings of an 11-inning game for the Arizona Diamondbacks on May 8, 2001.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
- MLB average jumps 5.4 percent to $3.39M
- Rockies get OF Stubbs in trade with Indians
- Court rules MLB can depose A-Rod's cousin
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Miami Marlins Anthracite Dri-FIT Fly Shorts