Nolasco retires 14 of first 15 batters
The streak ended with a leadoff double by Adam LaRoche in the sixth inning. Nolasco fanned 12 through five innings, retiring 14 of his first 15 batters. He had 15 strikeouts through seven innings, setting a team record.
Seaver struck out 19 in that game at Shea Stadium, including his final 10 batters in a 2-1 victory.
The record for strikeouts in a nine-inning game is 20, set by Roger Clemens (twice) and Kerry Wood. Randy Johnson also struck out 20 in the first nine innings of an 11-inning game for the Arizona Diamondbacks on May 8, 2001.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Hamels: Arm 'really good' after pen session
- O's Wieters out several days with ankle sprain
- Braun signs first post-ban endorsement deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- WinCraft Miami Marlins Bats 12" x 30" Premium Quality Pennant