Griffey has surgery on left knee
The team says Griffey had the surgery on Monday in Cincinnati and it was performed by Dr. Timothy Kremchek. Normal recovery time is four to six weeks.
It's the second time in a year that Griffey has undergone surgery on his left knee. He was limited by the knee at times during the 2009 season. He had it drained on multiple occasions.
Griffey hit .214 this season with 19 homers and 57 RBIs in 117 games and was embraced by fans in his return to Seattle. He was a designated hitter for all but the first weeks of the season.
Griffey, who turns 40 in November, has not announced whether he will play in 2010.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Youkilis will play 'one more year' -- in Japan
- O's Patton tests positive, banned 25 games
- Beltran joins Yankees: 'Means a lot to me'
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Logo Seattle Mariners Seat Cushion