Report: Selig to step aside in 2012
Bud Selig has declined an overture from a group of baseball owners asking him to stay on after his contract ends in 2012, the Chicago Tribune reported, citing unnamed sources.
According to the report, the sources said a group of five owners approached Selig asking him to stay on. That approach led to his taking the job when Fay Vincent was forced out of the commissioner's office in 1992, and to his agreeing to a contract extension last year.
According to sources, the 75-year-old Selig told the group of owners he will step down in 2012 in order to pursue other interests while he's still able, the newspaper reported.
Selig, reached at his Milwaukee office on Wednesday, would not discuss his conversations with the owners but said he plans to stay on the job for three more seasons, according to the report.
Selig, who formerly owned the Milwaukee Brewers, received a three-year contract extension last year.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Shoulder strain sends Cardinals' Garcia to DL
- Braves' O'Flaherty has torn ligament in elbow
- Ortiz has 2 HRs, 6 RBIs as Red Sox cruise
- Andrus enjoys 5-hit night as Rangers top Tigers