Teahen wins Hutch Award
The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle made the announcement Monday. The award goes to a player who best exemplifies the honor, courage and dedication of former major league pitcher and manager Fred Hutchinson, who died from cancer in 1964 at age 45.
Teahen was traded this month from the Kansas City Royals to Chicago. The infielder-outfielder will receive his award Jan. 27 in Seattle.
While in Kansas City, Teahen was a spokesman and fundraiser for a program that gave children with physical or mental challenges the chance to play baseball.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Chicago White Sox Grand Slam Softee Bat and Ball Set