Pair of pitchers reach one-year deals
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Royals reached one-year deals with right-handers Brian Bannister and Kyle Davies on Saturday and decided against offering a contract to catcher John Buck, making him a free agent.
Right-hander Roman Colon also avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year deal with Kansas City.
Bannister, 28, went 7-12 with a 4.73 ERA in 26 starts last season. The son of former major league pitcher Floyd Bannister won 12 games in 2007. Davies, 26, was 8-9 with a 5.27 ERA in 22 starts this year.
Bannister will make $2.3 million next season and Davies' deal is worth $1.8 million. Colon gets $665,000 if he's on the major league roster and $240,000 in the minors.
Buck became expendable when Jason Kendall agreed to a $6 million, two-year contract with Kansas City on Friday. Buck has spent his entire career with the Royals, batting .235 with 70 homers and 259 RBIs over six seasons
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- McGrady makes Skeeters' roster as pitcher
- Cubs say absent Sosa must make amends
- Selig sides with Cubs over rooftop owners
- Marrero, oldest ex-MLB player, dies at 102
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Kansas City Royals Cooperstown Fan V-Neck Royal/Light Blue Half-Sleeve Shirt