Delgado has hit as he comes back
The free agent slugger batted cleanup as the designated hitter for the Carolina Giants in Puerto Rico's winter league. His single came on a fly ball to short left field in the sixth inning.
"I felt better than I expected, for the time I spent without playing. I hadn't seen live pitching since May," he said. "The most important thing is this was a step in the right direction."
"I'm not afraid of sliding. I've done it as part of my rehabilitation process," he said.
The 37-year-old first baseman played in only 26 games during the last season of his contract with the Mets before he was sidelined by a hip injury. He was batting .298 with four homers and 23 RBIs when he went on the disabled list on May 11. He had surgery on May 19.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Pirates' Worley blanks Giants with 4-hitter
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Women's New York Mets Royal Long Shot V-Neck T-Shirt