Blue Jays, Hechavarria agree to contract
TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to a $10 million, four-year contract with Cuban shortstop prospect Adeiny Hechavarria.
A right-handed hitter who turns 21 on April 15, Hechavarria started for Cuba at the 2007 World Junior Championships in Canada. He hit .262 with six doubles, two triples and one homer last season in the Cuban league and had five errors in 217 chances.
He is expected to report to extended spring training before he starts his minor league career.
Hechavarria gets a $4 million signing bonus and salaries of $500,000 this year, $2 million in 2011 and $1.75 million in each of the final two seasons.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Dice-K defends Mets' Warthen after his slur
- Sandberg: Rollins not benched over remark
- Rays tab ace Price to start opener vs. Jays
- Yoon joins Orioles, readies for mound debut
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Toronto Blue Jays Roberto Alomar #12 White Cooperstown Jersey