Counsell's slam fuels 10-run inning
Nationals starter Jason Marquis lasted only seven hitters Sunday and did not record an out, giving up four singles, hitting two batters and issuing a bases-loaded walk.
He was replaced by Batista, who allowed an RBI single to Carlos Gomez, then got the first out when opposing pitcher Doug Davis hit a sacrifice fly. Batista then walked Rickie Weeks before serving up Counsell's homer.
It's the fifth time the Brewers have scored 10 runs in an inning, but the first time they've done it in the first.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's Washington Nationals 9Forty Pinch Hitter Red Adjustable Hat