Nats RHP Marquis out 6 weeks
WASHINGTON -- Nationals right-hander Jason Marquis is expected to miss six weeks with a right elbow injury.
Marquis, who is 0-3 with a 20.52 ERA this season, got a second opinion Thursday that confirmed the original diagnosis of swelling and what the team said are "loose bodies" in the elbow.
He went on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday. The Nationals are going to bring up right-hander Luis Atilano from Triple-A Syracuse to replace Marquis as the scheduled starter Friday night against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Marquis had a cortisone shot Thursday and will not throw for seven to 10 days, then will begin a throwing program.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Sources: Tigers close to deal with OF Davis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Women's Washington Nationals Red V-Neck Half Sleeve Fan Shirt