Sanchez to bat third for Giants
The three-time All-Star was in the starting lineup and scheduled to bat third in Wednesday night's game.
Sanchez missed all of spring training and the first 38 games of the regular season after undergoing surgery on his left (non-throwing) shoulder in December.
Outfielder Eugenio Velez was optioned to Triple-A Fresno to make room for Sanchez on the active roster.
Sanchez hit .450 with four RBIs in seven games during his minor league rehab assignment with Class A San Jose and Fresno. Sanchez signed a $12 million, two-year contract extension with San Francisco on Oct. 30.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
- Orioles 3B Machado (knee) suffers setback
- Rivera honored, but Yanks no-hit in Panama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal San Francisco Giants Applique Banner Flag