Bedard may not debut until late June
Seattle manager Don Wakamatsu on Thursday described a plan for the former Baltimore Orioles ace that suggests his season debut following shoulder surgery may not come until late June.
The Mariners had been so excited about Bedard's progress that they had raised the possibility of him returning this month. But he had a setback last week when he felt discomfort while throwing 30 pitches in a simulated game.
The left-hander will play catch Saturday. The team is looking at then sending him to its spring training facility in Arizona to throw at least two bullpen sessions and two simulated games before he'd start a rehabilitation assignment in mid-June.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Source: Balfour's deal with O's in jeopardy
- Source: Ibanez, Angels nearing 1-year deal
- Axford, Indians finalize 1-year, $4.5M deal
- Braves get catcher Doumit in Twins trade
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Seattle Mariners Navy Screen-Printed Replica Jersey