Service tentatively to be held Friday

Updated: May 27, 2010, 1:08 AM ET
By Enrique Rojas | ESPNdeportes.com

Due to city regulations, former MLB pitcher Jose Lima's body is stranded in Los Angeles while paperwork is completed that would allow his family to move it to New York, where a funeral service is planned for the player.

Lima, 37, died Sunday in Los Angeles.

Family sources told ESPNdeportes.com that the service previously scheduled for Thursday at a Queens funeral home has been rescheduled for Friday.

"The body was given to us after the autopsy, but there are other regulations we were not aware of that have prevented us from moving it," said Jose Azcona, a close friend of Lima and the person in charge of the services to be held in New York.

"The authorities promised us that they would hurry up in order to complete the process so we can possibly put Jose's body in a plane on Thursday at noon in Los Angeles. Tentatively we are moving the funeral to Friday, if there are no more delays," Azcona said.

If the new timeline is met, Lima's body will be sent to his native Dominican Republic late Friday and a wake will be held Saturday in Cibao Stadium in Santiago before his burial.

It is not known how this change of schedule will affect a score of Latin American MLB players who had expressed interest in being part of Lima's services, including Boston's David Ortiz , the Mets' Johan Santana and Philadelphia's Placido Polanco, as their teams play outside the New York area Friday.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

ALSO SEE