Padres had wrong pitcher on lineup card
After the top of the first inning, Washington manager Jim Riggleman, Padres manager Bud Black and all four umpires met at the plate. After several minutes, it was announced in the press box that the Padres' official lineup card listed Adam Russell as the starting pitcher, rather than left-hander Clayton Richard. The Nationals protested, saying that Richard was an unannounced substitute.
The umpires accepted the protest.
Russell, a reliever, had been optioned to Triple-A Portland hours earlier.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
- Cards' Wainwright gets majors-best 13th win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Washington Nationals Bryce Harper #34 Shades of Victory Black T-Shirt