Scherzer strikes out 14 in five-plus
Scherzer was taken out of Sunday's game after striking out two batters in the fifth but also walking one and hitting another. The 14 strikeouts fall two short of Mickey Lolich's team record set in 1969.
After being acquired from Arizona, Scherzer began the year in Detroit's rotation, but was sent to Triple-A Toledo after going 1-4 with a 7.29 ERA.
He had 11 strikeouts on Sept. 7, 2008, for Arizona against the Dodgers.
Scherzer was only called up for Sunday's game because scheduled starter Armando Galarraga pitched in relief Friday night.
To make room for him, the Tigers designated Dontrelle Willis for assignment.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Halladay retires after 1-day Blue Jays deal
- Trade talks for OF Kemp active, agent says
- It's unanimous: Torre, La Russa, Cox to Hall
- Sources: Tigers close to deal with OF Davis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Detroit Tigers Navy Hayden Adjustable Hat