Nats promote Strasburg ahead of debut
WASHINGTON -- Before Stephen Strasburg could pitch, he needed to become a member of the team. And he needed a catcher, too.
The Washington Nationals took care of both moves about two hours before Strasburg's debut Tuesday night against the Pittsburgh Pirates. They officially recalled Strasburg from Triple-A Syracuse and reinstated catcher Ivan Rodriguez from the 15-day disabled list.
Rodriguez missed the previous 14 games with a lower back strain.
The Nationals also designated catcher Jamie Burke for assignment.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cubs not sure when ailing Castro will return
- Garza goal: Kick Cubs' 'teeth in every time'
- Twins lock up closer Perkins on 4-year deal
- Boras: Morales, Drew willing to wait for deals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Triple Peak Men's Washington Nationals Stephen Strasburg Red T-Shirt