Padres turn triple play against Mets
With runners on first and second in the second inning, pitcher Jon Garland got rookie Ruben Tejada to hit a one-hopper at third baseman Chase Headley. He stepped on the bag and threw to second baseman Lance Zawadzki, whose relay beat Tejada by at least a step.
It was the eighth triple play in Padres history and first since May 19, 1997, when pitcher Andy Ashby, shortstop Chris Gomez and first baseman Archi Cianfrocco did it against Cincinnati's Ed Taubensee.
The Mets hit into their 10th triple play. Jeff Francoeur lined into one to end a game against Philadelphia last Aug. 23.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- HOF Schmidt recovering from skin cancer
- Orioles' Machado: Don't know about opener
- Source: Tigers' Iglesias to sit out until break
- D-backs' Corbin exits start with tight forearm
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica New York Mets Nolan Ryan #30 Royal Cooperstown Jersey