MLB Confidential: Umpire edition
Players speak anonymously about umpires
Major League Baseball umpires have had a tough few weeks. It all started with the controversial ejections of Mark Buehrle and Ozzie Guillen on May 26, then Roy Oswalt five days later. Then there was the blown call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game on June 2. But when ESPN The Magazine and Insider anonymously polled 100 MLB players on the state of baseball umpiring and whether replay should be instituted for more plays, they came back with a resounding response: Lighten up -- we like our umps. Most of 'em, anyway.
1. Who are the three best umpires in baseball?
2. Who are the three worst umpires in baseball?
3. Which umpire has the quickest hook?
4. Grade the overall performance of umpires, "A" through "F."
5. Should there be replay on base calls?
6. Should there be replay on fair/foul calls?
7. Should Bud Selig have overturned the result of the Galarraga near-perfect game?
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Red Sox officially unveil Sandoval, Ramirez
- Source: Lester, Giants will meet next week
- Red Sox: Could exceed tax to reel in Lester
- Reds hire Towers as special assistant to GM